Sunday, May 31, 2009

Pits at Dog Parks

This is a big debate among us pit bull owners. Should your Pit Bull be aloud at a dog park? Well there is a lot of nay sayers but I on the other hand think yes your pit should be aloud in many circumstances.
First off, there is a lot of people that feel if your a responsible owner that your pit should not be aloud to go there. This is due to the fact that pits were bred to fight. Be that as it may you should know your dog better then anyone else. I like to start my dogs off there as pups. Usually I start them off around the age of 12 weeks or so. It is great to socialize them and get them used to other dog temperaments and personalities. If your dog never has a chance to experience any other animals then there is a good chance they wont be friendly with them. Now if you have an older dog then you need to gage how its been with other dogs its seen and met before you go and just let him cut loose.
Everyone of my pits has been raised at the dog park and out of 7 dogs there was 2 that I stopped taking because I could see some aggression towards other dogs starting. My last Male Harley was actually attacked by a Husky. After I got the Husky away from him it ran back and attacked him again as we were leaving. I ended up fighting off the dog because my pit wouldn't fight back. He was just a sweetie that didn't not have a mean bone in his body. So who is to say he has no right to go. I don't want to label him and say just because he is a pit type breed that he cant be nice with other animals, because its just not true. You know your animal and a responsible owner watches them and how they respond. If they look like they cant handle it then try something else with them. I always recommend having a braking stick if you own a pit bull. Even if your taking a daily walk and another dog attacks you wont be able to get them apart with out one.

No comments: